At Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), we believe it's important to recognize and reward employee performance through our Total Rewards program—a comprehensive portfolio of benefits that reaches far beyond the paycheck. Our program strategy helps us attract, retain, evaluate, recognize, and develop the talented staff essential to fulfill PNNL's vision and mission. Total Rewards is PNNL's investment in you. It includes comprehensive benefits, performance and recognition programs, educational programs, work-life balance, and career growth opportunities. With your help, we will continue to sustainably expand our reputation for advancing scientific discovery and for translating those discoveries into solutions that address the nation's most urgent needs in energy, the environment, and national security. Join us!
For Your Contributions
Direct Compensation: PNNL is committed to a total compensation strategy that is competitive and performance-driven. We strongly believe in rewarding performance; therefore, we offer a competitive cash compensation program that includes base pay and variable compensation for employees. To support our competitive performance-based pay practices, we make every effort to ensure that our salaries are both externally competitive and internally equitable.
Rewards & Recognition: To strengthen the link between pay and performance, we offer a multi-faceted variable pay program based on individual and team performance.
For Your Health & Well Being
Health & Welfare: Our comprehensive coverage includes:
- Medical — Choice of three medical plans offered to you and your eligible dependents through Anthem (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) including prescription coverage through CVS Caremark.
- Vision — Choice of two vision plans provided through VSP, that covers eye exams and your hardware needs.
- Dental — Provides you with access to two of the nation's largest networks of participating dentists through Delta Dental of Ohio.
- Short-Term Disability — Company-paid benefit that provides continuing income if you cannot work due to a covered illness or injury. Employees may be eligible for up to 25 weeks of salary replacement.
- Long-Term Disability — Company-paid benefit that provides continuing income if you cannot work due to a covered illness or injury after 25 weeks on short-term disability.
- Employee Assistance Program — Provides the resources and expertise you need to deal with everything from the demands of everyday life to major life events. Employees and their family members are eligible to participate in our EAP Plan which provides confidential assessment, counseling services, and referrals if necessary. It also offers financial services and discounts on legal services.
- Flexible Spending Accounts — FSAs are a great way to save money by providing a tax-free way to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses.
- Health Savings Account — With the HSA, you'll get many of the advantages of a Healthcare FSA, plus more. The HSA is only available to those who enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan that is one of the three health plans that are available.
- Group Life Insurance — PNNL provides basic life insurance coverage equal to 11Ž2 times the staff member's annual base salary. This coverage, which also includes emergency travel assistance services through Assist America, increases in step with salary increases for active staff members up to age 65, after which time it decreases. The following choices also are available under the Group Life Insurance benefit:
- Additional Life Insurance: 1 to 5 times your base salary (subject to a dollar maximum).
- Dependent Life Insurance: $5,000 or $10,000.
- Accident Insurance — Provides financial protection, up to $500,000, against covered hazards when you travel on assignment for the benefit of PNNL. You may also choose to elect additional group accident insurance coverage in amounts of $20,000 to $750,000 for yourself and/or your family. This is an optional plan that provides you with additional financial protection for yourself and your covered dependents in case of an accident.
- Emergency Travel Assistance Service — Provides emergency medical referrals, monitoring, evacuation, repatriation, security advice, logistical expertise, and more to help safeguard PNNL staff while on personal or business travel within the United States or abroad.
For Your Future
PNNL believes in providing you with competitive and valuable benefits that provide financial security during your retirement years. That's why PNNL offers both defined benefit (“pension”) and defined contribution (“401(k)”) plans to help you achieve your retirement goals.
- Pension Plan — At age 65, this benefit is equal to 1.2% multiplied by your highest 60 consecutive months average salary multiplied by years of service (40 years maximum).
- You automatically become a Pension Plan member upon salaried employment.
- Staff become 100% vested after 5 plan years of service.
- 401(k) Savings Plan — This plan offers multiple investment options in which you can contribute 1 to 75% of your salary on a before-tax and 1 to 50% on an after-tax basis. PNNL will immediately match 50% of your first 7% of monthly contributions.
- Salaried staff may enroll immediately upon hire.
- Staff become 100% vested after 36 months of service.
For Your Career
To ensure that employees are fully using their talents and have the skills they need to be effective, we offer the following career-development programs:
- Tuition Reimbursement Program — Employees may be eligible to receive 100% reimbursement of tuition and certain fees for academic study. Course of study must align with PNNL's mission and be applicable to the staff member's current or anticipated job responsibility.
- Leadership & Staff Development Programs — Employees may be eligible to participate in one of PNNL's career development programs upon nomination by their manager.
Because PNNL recognizes that employees have lives outside of work, PNNL offers paid holidays, accrued vacation time, and a flexible work schedule.
Paid Time Off:
- Vacation — All employees immediately begin accruing two weeks paid vacation per year, with the opportunity to accrue up to a maximum of five weeks based on length of service.
- Holidays — All employees receive 8 fixed holidays, plus two staff-designated floating holidays, per calendar year.
- Sick Leave — Sick leave is available but is subject to management approval.
- Special Leave — Employees may request specific leaves of absence to further career, business, educational, or personal development goals.
- Subject to length of service requirements and management approval.
- PNNL offers flexible working hours, including consideration for alternate work schedules.
- Telework — A flexible work option that is offered to almost all PNNL employees. It increases work-life balance, cost savings, and decreased commuting stresses on employees by having the option to work from home.
beWELL: PNNL's wellness program, beWELL, focuses on building and maintaining a healthy workforce that is dedicated to promoting the research agenda of PNNL. The program is designed to engage the workforce in positive behaviors that promote personal wellness and healthy lifestyles. We offer a variety of programs and services that emphasize awareness, prevention, and positive health changes; foster an environment that supports healthy lifestyle choices, and provide knowledge and skills to maintain health and enhance work performance. Programs include fitness and health challenges with achievement awards to promote healthy behaviors, campus walking routes, an ergonomic program, seasonal influenza vaccines, health and wellness fairs, healthy eating and nutrition classes, and a Weight Watchers at Work program.
Life@PNNL: Life@PNNL isn't just a program or a function but an overarching way to look at your total employee experience. From benefits to safety to career growth to maintaining a healthy work life balance, Life@PNNL impacts every aspect of your life at the Laboratory. Our wide-variety of offerings includes professional networks, social clubs, and charity projects along with staff discounts, internal classified ads. and lab-wide events.